Tuesday 3 June 2008

Coming to the End of the Line


It's been a long and winding road, sometimes obstructed with those who for no other reason than their own glory looked to their side instead of looking forward. But it appears, ever increasingly, that the race is over, and the true battle has begun.


I don't think these Primaries have been good for the Democrats. They have historically been a party in America whose dreams and ambitions out weigh their ability to win elections and commit to doing what so many of them passionately believe. In Britain, we always manage to have a leadership contest based on positive change and ambition. Look at the Liberals or Conservatives for instance; each candidate was able to stand up and be proud of their self nomination without criticising the other candidates. (I shall now wait with anticipation until some keen bean Nationalist leaves a comment along the lines of "I didn't see Gordon Brown competing in a leadership contest".....) I simply can't wait...


Hillary Clinton would make an outstanding President of the United States, she really would. However, it seems as though she will stand down by the end of the week, and pass the stage on to Barack Obama, who I believe holds the key to change and a new America.


2 comments:

Jeff said...

I'd say the Tory leadership contest was a good model of how to go about conducting the affair. Open and honest dialogue between 5 candidates all capable of leading the party.

I think the Lib Dem battle, as keenly fought as it was, was more ugly than you give it credit for. Chris Huhne showed himself to be a bit of a nasty piece of work when he wants/needs to be...

And, ok then, I'll bite....

"In Britain, we always manage to have a leadership contest based on positive change and ambition."

This is surely a bizarre statement from someone in the Labour party?

Would you say Gordon Brown or Wendy Alexander actively encouraged their colleagues to stand against them in the interests of 'positive change' and 'ambition'? Or do you think they slapped people down behind the scenes to ensure they were coronated without any fuss?

And do you think if Gordon had won some sort of leadership contest his poll ratings would be a bit higher?

For me, I am not sure, but I still hope he can turn things around.

Matt's Mic said...

Jeff,

I was simply waiting for the moment this point was made, as stated in the original article...!

I completely understand peoples' reservations of the way in which the leadership of the Labour Party in the UK and Scotland was fought. I do not, however, believe that there was anything fundamentally wrong with the system or situation. John Mcdonnell MP did try to challenge Gordon, but was unsuccesful in gaining the right amount of MP support, and so I think Gordon Brown can be leader completely guilt-free. I know I am.

I think you are completely correct about the Tory model of leadership contest. As with the Liberals... Who cares?!

I shall be blogging a lot more often now on. It just hasn't been the same without you...!