Monday 8 September 2008

Tonsil Tennis


One of the less visually offensive tonsil tennis moments

There are often phrases used to describe things which become almost cult; usual every day language between us young people, and physical repulsion for our parents. Of course Granny doesn't get it, so it's all good. For me, the worst and most cringe-worthy of these is 'tonsil-tennis', which is used to describe the situation in which two (or I suppose more) people are engaging in an activity which involves tongues and lips and stuff... okokok.... SNOGGING. Yes, snogging.

Now, sad to say, I have not been participating in any such activities, but I have however managed to contract tonsillitis. And it sucks.

It does however beautifully compliment the fact that I got chucked at the weekend, which was hardly surprising considering the fact that she disclosed to me that she was a Tory to me on Friday night. Well, ok, that wasn't the reason, but I guess it's better than none, which was the reason given to me...

I don't think I have any political rants for the day, other than the fact that every time I got a comment on my Salmond's Carbon Footprint story, I felt more right than I did when I wrote it.

Although I would like to thank President Salmond, because my antibiotics only cost £5 rather than the usual £6.75. Cheers, penicillin never tasted so good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny - it looked to the rest of us like you were getting a sound hiding from all comers so disappeared quicker than a Gordon Brown opinion poll lead.

Running away from criticism then simply declaring you were right all along doesn't give you credibility - it makes you look childish.

Good luck with the tonsilitis though. I know from experience that it's not fun.

Matt's Mic said...

Professional,

I haven't run away from a thing.

I say plenty of constructive things on my blog, and to be honest you never do. Nor have you told me about YOUR blog. Does it exist?

I'm STILL waiting for a happy birthday...

Anonymous said...

You occasionally raise
some worthy and interesting points, then immediately drown them in partisan rhetoric
and ad hominem attacks. As you mature politically you'll hopefully learn that if you having damning fact then it's best to let it speak for itself, rather than getting sidetracked into personal attacks.

On the theme of constructive blogging: since the start of July (i.e. the period during which your party has been debating it's future leadership) the election has been widely discussed on blogs of all political flavours. It made me wonder what your constructive contribution has been to the debate:

Since the start of July:

Mentions of Iain Gray = 0
Mentions of Cathy Jamieson = 0
Mentions of Andy Kerr = 0
Mentions of Alex Salmond = 18

Amazingly for a Labour blog, in nigh on 7000 words at this time you actually mention Linda Fabiani more often then any of the three potential Scottish leaders of
your party!

For me that shows quite clearly that what you have here is not a constructive Labour blog. What you have is an anti-SNP blog - a market already more than catered for by the excellent Scottish Unionist blog.

Matt's Mic said...

Yes, maybe i've spent too much time talking about pointless things like equality, fairness and social justice.

These are the things which brought me into politics, not one cause for independence.

The SNP ignore these values. They don't work with their political aim and agenda.

Well, those values are my political aim, and acheiving them is my agenda.

Anonymous said...

Nice attempt at deflection there, but you'll have to do better than that if you want to take the moral high ground.

I would take your point seriously if you'd been writing long tracts about equality, fairness and social justice and about how your party could go about achieving them. What you've been writing is destructive and personalised attacks on the SNP for what you perceive to be their failings on these issues, but scarcely a word of substance on a positive vision.

Constructive? Don't make me laugh. You've managed to go through an entire leadership campaign, pen around 7000 words, and in the process contribute not a sentence to the debate on the direction of your party.

On a wider point - can you please show me the serious party in Scotland that stood in 2007 on a platform of unfairness, inequality and injustice? They might disagree on how you achieve it, but there is not a serious party in Scotland that would not claim to stand for all of those.

I'll give you an interesting experiment to do at the next election - take all the leaflets that come through your door. Extract all the partisan rhetoric from them, then look at the actual aspirations contained within them. In most cases you'd have difficulty identifying which leaflet they came from.

By the way - Iain Gray won, so it's safe to stick your head above the parapet again without the fear of backing the wrong horse. He even made an ill-judged attack on Salmond in his acceptance speech, so I'm sure you'll love him.