Sunday 19 October 2008

At least we now know where his values lie


Politician? Em... Not so much...
It was with great suspicion that I heard John Loughton, the self proclaimed 'activist' and 'advocate' for young people in Scotland, had announced to be standing in the upcoming Forth by-election in Edinburgh as an independent.

It was always known that John was closely linked to the Lib Dems, and he made no secret of that.

In the Herald in 2007 he said, "I take account of the party as well as the candidate, and the Liberal Democrats are the key party for young people in Scotland".

Within a year, he approached the Labour Party and stated that he was going to stand at the Westminster election for either the Lib Dems or Labour. "Whichever one gives me the better offer," he stated. I know because I was there.

He, on this particular occasion, had his eye on Gavin Strang's seat in Edinburgh East, as at the time it was thought Gavin was standing down.

I wouldn't go for selection for Edinburgh East, and if I did, I wouldn't get it, but I would get behind the candidate that did. I'm sure most would, and it's evident that the vast majority do.

They do it because they believe in the values the party stands for.

They do it for the cause, not the career, and so should he.

John Loughton, after being rejected by both Labour and the Lib Dems, shows that it's not a set of values he believes in. In return, the two parties have shown him that respect, judgement and the ideology of equality and justice can't just be bought by being on a celebrity show.

I heard the other day that MP really stands for 'Man of Principal'. And I like that, because no one can ask more of a man than that, and in politics, we shouldn't expect any less.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I agree, something doesn't quite stack up with the way John Loughton's throwing himself at parties and seats.

PS Should we start calling female politicians 'WPs' then?

PJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anseo said...

I recall Loughton from a time in the distant past where I would help with some aspects of the Edinburgh Youth Council.

Your description of him is all too familiar. Back then he was closest to Labour...but keeping an eye on the Libs and the SSP.

Hopefully now he's gone forward as an independent he'll be found out. Its one things to be a carpetbagger - quite another to be an unsuccessful one!