Wednesday 20 August 2008

Birthday Boy

This is me enjoying my birthday surprise

Well, that's it, I'm no longer a teenager. It's official. 20 years old today. I do however wish to thank Jacq, who phoned me to wish me a happy birthday this morning, and mentioned that according to the EU I still have 6 more years of being considered a 'young person', which was to my private relief.

I remember consoling a friend whose boyfriend had dumped her over msn (classy, eh...?) the previous evening, when she said to me, "I just never would have believed a 19 year old could regret so much". She was talking about herself that night, but I never forgot what she said, because however people see the youth of today, some of the problems young people face, and the emotions of which they have to deal with, are just as bitter and harsh as anyone else's.

As young as I know I am inside, I can't help but feel that I've learnt a fair bit in my time on this earth, and so I thought I would share some of it with you.
20 Things I've Learnt in the Last 20 Years

1) Your mother is always right

2) Anything goes with vodka

3) Except milk

4) Going out 9 nights in a row makes you feel dodgy

5) If it's how you feel, then it can't be wrong

6) If you're in love with your stunning girlfriend, don't chuck her for someone who resembles a horse

7) If you're really tired and hungover in the morning, still try your best to remember to put on your pants

8) Don't get too involved with politics

9) If you ever go to an organ recital, bring a book

10) If you've gone through life being really talented at the thing you love, for God's sake just do it at uni

11) Social work makes really simple things really complicated

12) Try to keep romances with flatmates to a minimum

13) Any drink can be fizzed in a soda stream

14) Except milk

15) If you think people are wrong, speak up, because they probably are

16) The kind of people who complain about things complain about anything, so what's the point.

17) If you're good at a subject, take it, and don't set yourself a challenge in something you're not good at. You don't get anymore UCAS points

18) Elvis really is the king

19) Don't buy a tux on the way to a club

20) Bad things in life are OK, because without the darkness, we would never see the stars

1 comment:

Jacq Kelly said...

This is uncanny,as I have just started writing a list called 'The lessons of life: Scarred upon the brain of Jacq Kelly'

They go in chronological order. I won't tell you what this year's lessons have been , lest I am being internet-watched, but I plan on taking these lessons Very Seriously Indeed.